lighten trigger on 34 4th gen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Points: 196, Level: 3
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Brunok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    lighten trigger on 34 4th gen

    I am enjoying my new g34 4th gen but would like a little lighter trigger pull but not at the cost of reliability. It came with a "minus" connector and I have polished the appropriate parts.

    I read an earlier post a while back that I think said that putting in a lighter (wolf) safety plunger spring and a heavier (wolf) trigger spring will shave off a pound from the pull keeping the stock striker spring.

    Am I remembering wrong? It seems counter intuitive that a heavier trigger spring would result in a lighter pull?


    I have searched at length for the earlier post and can't find it.

    thanks

    Bruno

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Points: 3,388,149, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    cohland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,884
    Glock Armorer?
    Yes
    Glocks Owned
    G19, G34 (presently)
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Brunok View Post
    I am enjoying my new g34 4th gen but would like a little lighter trigger pull but not at the cost of reliability. It came with a "minus" connector and I have polished the appropriate parts.

    I read an earlier post a while back that I think said that putting in a lighter (wolf) safety plunger spring and a heavier (wolf) trigger spring will shave off a pound from the pull keeping the stock striker spring.

    Am I remembering wrong? It seems counter intuitive that a heavier trigger spring would result in a lighter pull?


    I have searched at length for the earlier post and can't find it.

    thanks

    Bruno
    Welcome aboard!

    The lighter firing pin safety spring will smooth out the pull by removing a hesitation as the trigger bar pushes up the firing pin safety, but it won't reduce the pull. Similarly, the heavier trigger spring has an effect on the feel of the pull as the trigger breaks, but I have never been able to measure a difference in pull.

    Take a look at this animation, you should be able to see how a heavier trigger spring has the effect:Glock Pistol Animation

    If that doesn't make sense to you, please reply again to this post and I'll try to explain it further. I'm off to the range now, will be back this evening.

    Chris
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

    Abraham Lincoln



  3. #3
    Member
    Points: 13,391, Level: 75
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Overall activity: 0%
    bubba68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    8
    [QUOTE=Brunok;82942]I am enjoying my new g34 4th gen but would like a little lighter trigger pull but not at the cost of reliability. It came with a "minus" connector and I have polished the appropriate parts.

    I read an earlier post a while back that I think said that putting in a lighter (wolf) safety plunger spring and a heavier (wolf) trigger spring will shave off a pound from the pull keeping the stock striker spring.

    Am I remembering wrong? It seems counter intuitive that a heavier trigger spring would result in a lighter pull?





    One way to get a lighter trigger pull on a Gen 4 is to put a Gen 3 trigger bar in the gun. The Gen 4 trigger bar has a bump on the piece that raises the firing pin safety up. The bump also rubs on the slide during the trigger pull causing a heavier trigger pull. The Gen 3 trigger bar does not have the bump. If you haven't already polish all the contact points on the trigger bar and the firing pin safety plunger this will help out on the weight of the trigger pull.

    A lighter weight striker spring will lighten the trigger pull but sometimes will not fire some primers if they are harder primers.

    I have a Gen 3 trigger bar in my Gen 4 model 19 and it works fine and lightened up the trigger pull.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    Glock.pro
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Junior Member
    Points: 196, Level: 3
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Brunok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0
    Thank you Mr. Cohland. The animation helps quite a bit understanding the interaction between the components.

    I do have a couple more questions:

    1) How does the heavier spring effect the trigger feel?

    2) It is way to improve the trigger weight or feel you would recomendthat would still allow the gun to digest the mixed quality ammo available these days

    3) Or should I change the plunger spring and just run more rounds through the gun to get used to it? ( I only have arround 500 through it)

  6. #5
    Junior Member
    Points: 196, Level: 3
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Brunok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0
    I did do the 25 cent polish after my first trip to the range. I will order a 3rd gen trigger bar and try that too, they don't appear to be very costly and like spring changes is easily reversable.

    thanks

    Bruno

  7. #6
    Super Moderator
    Points: 3,388,149, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    cohland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,884
    Glock Armorer?
    Yes
    Glocks Owned
    G19, G34 (presently)
    Rep Power
    18
    Stay tuned for a little while, please. I just ran a series of tests comparing the new trigger bar with the older one mentioned by bubba68, I will post the results within 30 minutes or so.

    Chris
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

    Abraham Lincoln



  8. #7
    Super Moderator
    Points: 3,388,149, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    cohland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,884
    Glock Armorer?
    Yes
    Glocks Owned
    G19, G34 (presently)
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Brunok View Post
    Thank you Mr. Cohland. The animation helps quite a bit understanding the interaction between the components.

    I do have a couple more questions:

    1) How does the heavier spring effect the trigger feel?

    2) It is way to improve the trigger weight or feel you would recomendthat would still allow the gun to digest the mixed quality ammo available these days

    3) Or should I change the plunger spring and just run more rounds through the gun to get used to it? ( I only have arround 500 through it)
    First, please call me Chris.

    1) I think (and this is only a guess) that when the spring pulls the trigger bar up after the shot has broken, it makes the trigger pull feel complete quicker.

    2) It doesn't hurt anything to change the trigger spring, and it's cheap. I don't bother with them any more, but you might feel a difference, so I would go ahead and make the change.

    3) To a point, Glocks do improve with age. But after about 300-500 rounds I would consider the gun to be broken in. Others may differ. Also, please look at this excellent thread started by boomer for some good information

    https://glock.pro/glock-tech-warranty...html#post19636


    Chris
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

    Abraham Lincoln



  9. #8
    Super Moderator
    Points: 3,388,149, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    cohland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,884
    Glock Armorer?
    Yes
    Glocks Owned
    G19, G34 (presently)
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Brunok View Post
    ...One way to get a lighter trigger pull on a Gen 4 is to put a Gen 3 trigger bar in the gun. The Gen 4 trigger bar has a bump on the piece that raises the firing pin safety up. The bump also rubs on the slide during the trigger pull causing a heavier trigger pull. The Gen 3 trigger bar does not have the bump.........I have a Gen 3 trigger bar in my Gen 4 model 19 and it works fine and lightened up the trigger pull.
    I have heard the statement that the older trigger bar, without the "bump" (see photo) is better, and will reduce trigger pull. It's tempting to believe that the bump would introduce some friction which could possibly increase trigger pull weight, but I've always wondered if that assertion is true.

    Name:  Trigger Bar Hump and Bump.jpg
Views: 5190
Size:  727.6 KB

    As it turns out, I happen to have a brand new Gen4 G34, and I have an extra old-style trigger bar (also brand new), so I decided to put the question to a test.

    1) The G34 had the original ("Gen4") trigger bar, Part Number 3608, which I had polished.
    2) I ran twenty trigger pulls and measured them, as done in the thread on the Connector Comparison Test.
    3) I then removed the 3608 trigger bar, polished a brand new 357 ("Gen3") trigger bar, and installed it in the G34.
    4) I ran twenty trigger pulls and measured them as I did in step 2.

    Here are the results:

    Original Gen4 Trigger Bar, P/N 3608:
    Average trigger pull: 84.97 ounces, or 5 pounds 4.97 ounces.

    Replacement Trigger Bar, P/N 357:
    Average trigger pull: 89.1 ounces, or 5 pounds 9.1 ounces.

    My conclusion is that the "Gen3" 357 trigger bar will not reduce the trigger pull of the Gen4 G34. It will instead increase the trigger pull by about 4 ounces. Sorry to be contrary, but I really believe that testing and gathering some data is a valuable way to sort out the myths from the facts when we are talking about various means of improving Glock triggers.

    Since I did not perform these tests on the same gun you have (a G19), and since the G19 uses a different trigger bar in the Gen3 version, it's possible that we would have different results with that gun. That said, I'm pretty certain about the results achieved on the Gen4 G34.


    Here's the Data:

    3608 357
    Pounds Ounces Total Ounces Pounds Ounces Total Ounces
    5 5 85 5 8.5 88.5
    5 8.5 88.5 5 5 85
    5 2.5 82.5 5 2 82
    5 7.5 87.5 5 7.5 87.5
    5 5 85 5 10 90
    4 15 79 5 6.5 86.5
    5 0.5 80.5 5 12 92
    4 15.9 79.9 5 9 89
    5 8.5 88.5 5 9 89
    5 3 83 5 10.5 90.5
    5 2 82 5 9 89
    5 4 84 5 4 84
    5 2.5 82.5 5 7 87
    5 3.5 83.5 5 12.5 92.5
    5 4 84 5 7.5 87.5
    5 8.5 88.5 5 12.5 92.5
    5 8.5 88.5 5 6 86
    5 8.5 88.5 5 12.5 92.5
    5 15 95 5 8 88
    5 3.5 83.5 6 7 103
    Avg 84.97 Avg 89.1
    Median 84 Median 88.75
    StdDev 3.850782559 StdDev 4.351648206

    Chris
    Last edited by cohland; 08-29-2013 at 08:21 AM.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

    Abraham Lincoln



  10. #9
    Member
    Points: 13,391, Level: 75
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Overall activity: 0%
    bubba68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by cohland View Post
    I have heard the statement that the older trigger bar, without the "bump" (see photo) is better, and will reduce trigger pull. It's tempting to believe that the bump would introduce some friction which could possibly increase trigger pull weight, but I've always wondered if that assertion is true.

    Name:  Trigger Bar Hump and Bump.jpg
Views: 5190
Size:  727.6 KB

    As it turns out, I happen to have a brand new Gen4 G34, and I have an extra old-style trigger bar (also brand new), so I decided to put the question to a test.

    1) The G34 had the original ("Gen4") trigger bar, Part Number 3608, which I had polished.
    2) I ran twenty trigger pulls and measured them, as done in the thread on the Connector Comparison Test.
    3) I then removed the 3608 trigger bar, polished a brand new 357 ("Gen3") trigger bar, and installed it in the G34.
    4) I ran twenty trigger pulls and measured them as I did in step 2.

    Here are the results:

    Original Gen4 Trigger Bar, P/N 3608:
    Average trigger pull: 84.97 ounces, or 5 pounds 4.97 ounces.

    Replacement Trigger Bar, P/N 357:
    Average trigger pull: 89.1 ounces, or 5 pounds 9.1 ounces.

    My conclusion is that the "Gen3" 357 trigger bar will not reduce the trigger pull of the Gen4 G34. It will instead increase the trigger pull by about 4 ounces. Sorry to be contrary, but I really believe that testing and gathering some data is a valuable way to sort out the myths from the facts when we are talking about various means of improving Glock triggers.

    Since I did not perform these tests on the same gun you have (a G19), and since the G19 uses a different trigger bar in the Gen3 version, it's possible that we would have different results with that gun. That said, I'm pretty certain about the results achieved on the Gen4 G34.


    Here's the Data:

    3608 357
    Pounds Ounces Total Ounces Pounds Ounces Total Ounces
    5 5 85 5 8.5 88.5
    5 8.5 88.5 5 5 85
    5 2.5 82.5 5 2 82
    5 7.5 87.5 5 7.5 87.5
    5 5 85 5 10 90
    4 15 79 5 6.5 86.5
    5 0.5 80.5 5 12 92
    4 15.9 79.9 5 9 89
    5 8.5 88.5 5 9 89
    5 3 83 5 10.5 90.5
    5 2 82 5 9 89
    5 4 84 5 4 84
    5 2.5 82.5 5 7 87
    5 3.5 83.5 5 12.5 92.5
    5 4 84 5 7.5 87.5
    5 8.5 88.5 5 12.5 92.5
    5 8.5 88.5 5 6 86
    5 8.5 88.5 5 12.5 92.5
    5 15 95 5 8 88
    5 3.5 83.5 6 7 103
    Avg 84.97 Avg 89.1
    Median 84 Median 88.75
    StdDev 3.850782559 StdDev 4.351648206

    Chris
    You Da Man Chris. Must have taken you a while to do all the tests. I don't have a trigger gauge yet I need to get me one instead of relying on my calibrated trigger finger.

    Do you work on other brand of guns or mainly on Glocks?

  11. #10
    Super Moderator
    Points: 3,388,149, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    cohland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,884
    Glock Armorer?
    Yes
    Glocks Owned
    G19, G34 (presently)
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba68 View Post
    You Da Man Chris. Must have taken you a while to do all the tests. I don't have a trigger gauge yet I need to get me one instead of relying on my calibrated trigger finger.

    Do you work on other brand of guns or mainly on Glocks?
    Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment!

    A trigger gauge can be your friend, but it cannot measure the subjective things like smoothness or a crisp let-off. Your finger will always be better for those measurements, believe me.

    I have a few other brands of guns, but the only thing I've ever been trained on is Glocks. My learning method with other guns (1911s, Ruger Single-Action revolvers, CZ75s, AR15s) is to try something, screw it up half the time, buy parts to fix it, and repeat the cycle until I have figured out how to solve the problem that I probably created in the first place...

    Chris
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

    Abraham Lincoln



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-18-2013, 10:15 AM
  2. Glock17 Smooth Trigger w/ Trigger Bar in Glock 19
    By Purkeypilot in forum Glock Tech / Warranty
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-29-2013, 08:53 PM
  3. Does a heavy Trigger Spring reduce trigger pull weight?
    By cohland in forum Glock Tech / Warranty
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-13-2013, 10:23 AM
  4. Trigger bar, trigger connector bind.
    By Glock22Gen3 in forum Glock Tech / Warranty
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-14-2012, 11:33 AM
  5. Gen-4 23 ((Increasing)) The Trigger pull via NY-Trigger Spring
    By 44Mag in forum Glock Tech / Warranty
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-31-2012, 01:36 AM

Search tags for this page

does polishing trigger components on a glock lighten the tri
,
glock 34 4th gen saftety plunger
,
glock 34 lighten trigger
,
glock lighter plunger spring
,
glock lighter trigger g34
,
how to improve glock 34 trigger
,
lighten glock 34 trigger
,
lighten glock 43 trigger
,

older glocks

,
will using a lighter striker spring lighten the trigger pull on a glock 34

Tags for this Thread